11 November 2010

Italy - take two

Nov 2 - Day 4
Started off waking up early and showering in a sketchy shower. I wanted to go to Veseuvias but wasn't exactly sure how to get there since I was super tired the night before when Giovanni had explained it so I asked a girl who explained it and then mentioned that there are two other girls going to do that today as well. So I met up with them (a German girl who works in Milan and a traveler from California) and we were off. We had alot of fun that day. It started off with a pastry and expresso, then we went to Ercolano which is like Pompeii but smaller and better preserved. Then we found the shuttle to Veseuvias and went to the old volcano and hiked up. It was really chilly up there but the views were amazing!



Then we went back down and went back to Ercolano where we caught the train (again) to Pompeii.
Once at Pompeii we got some lunch since we were all starved. We went to this little shop where everything was made to order (meat sliced and everything) and it was super yummy (and cheap!). Then we went to the Pompeii site. It was really cool, there is so much to see and do there it is really something to see. Then it was getting dark so we left for home. After a 40 minute train ride and some walking we were back. We got to relax some and then we had dinner. Giovanni made us a traditional Italian dinner. It was so good and so much food! It started out with pasta and shrimp and then we had sausage (the sausage was the best I have ever had) and potatoes. Then for dessert we had some pastry thing. After dinner Giovanni played the guitar and sang for us. It was alot of fun and really cool to hear all of the Italian songs. After that I got my stuff around for the next day and went to bed because i was exhausted!

Nov 3 - Day 5

Started out with sleeping in. Then I got up, showered and went out. I got some espresso and a croissant filled with chocolate cream. FYI I really dig the breakfasts in Italy, so good. Then decided to do the tour of the city with my American friends from yesterday. Started at the archeological museum then wandered and got a little lost. We finally found the right path after we passed this cool square and saw some churches. The churches in Italy are so amazing and unique, I have never seen anything like them. Then we wandered through the Christmas market and met up with the German friend from yesterday.  The German girl and I went to this church to see a life sized statue of Jesus that is so amazing.  It was super detailed. Then we headed to Gino’s pizza to meet up with the other girl (who went  to see the sea because she went to a lot of churches recently) and had the best pizza ever. OMG it was so good but I could barely finish it! I thought I was going to burst, but with a little encouragement I finished the whole thing. After pizza we all went our separate ways because the other two girls were leaving. 

I continued my tour of the city and saw some cool plazas, a  gorgeous gallery, the theater, and two castles. It was a lot of fun and the sea was gorgeous. You had a perfect view of the harbor and mount Vesuvius, it was so picture perfect I took loads of photos, lol. Anyways, after exploring the castles I checked my watch and saw that it was 3:30. I raced back to one of the streets because I wanted to take the tour of the underground. I made the 4 o clock tour which was pretty fun. It was me and some Germans who were all in their 50s and then our tour guide in English.  The underground was really cool, we got to see the old aqueducts that had been used for multiple purposes (first for water, then waste disposal, then shelters for bombs during the world wars).  After a neat hour and a half tour (we even went down narrow passageways with candles at some points, it was super cool) I grabbed a sandwich as I headed back to the hostel since it was getting dark. I was told that as long as I don’t go into certain areas at night I will be fine but I didn’t feel like taking any chances. Anyways, when I got back I talked with some of the people there, figured out everything for going to the island of Capri the next day and went to bed. 

Nov 4 - Day 6
Woke up really excited about going to the island. The weather had been super nice and I could not wait for a  day of exploring an island and being on the beaches. However, fate or my debit card had something else in store for me. I didn’t take a lot of cash with me so I needed to use my debit card to get some but it didn’t work when I tried it that morning. I was freaking out, I tried some other places and still no luck. I tried to use a pay phone to call home but I couldn’t figure it out and my cell phone wouldn’t work in that part of Italy. Finally I went back to the hostel and used the internet to get in contact with my dad who helped me figure out what was going on. Basically in order for me to use my debit card I need to clear it for use in Europe which I did, however Italy was blocked apparently because of the mafia activity or something. So Italy has to be cleared separately and they couldn't get it to clear. Finally my parents decided to send me money using Western Union so they sent it but less than an hour later I went to go get it, eat dinner and catch my boat to Palermo.

So this guy from my hostel was taking the same ferry so we decided to walk together (safety in numbers), but when we got to the Western Union place they had closed already (even though it was only 6pm). Silly Italians. Anyways, so we went and ate dinner at a nice restaurant so I could use my credit card. Then we went and caught the boat. It was so cool watching Naples sink away into the night, and all I kept thinking was that song "I'm on a Boat". Lol, good stuff.


Anyways, so then to go to sleep there were only chairs so I took out all of my clothes and put them on (because it was cold) laid my towel on the floor, used my jacket as a blanket/head cover because the lights didn't turn off and used my backpack as a pillow. Amazingly I was so tired I slept pretty good although I was so sore the next morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment