17 November 2010

Switzerland

Thursday

Woke up and packed my backpack and new purse. After a shower and some breakfast I went to the store and bought some groceries so I wouldn't have to buy as much food when in Switzerland. After I came back and packed those, I chilled for a bit and then got everything around to leave. I picked up my lunch my host mom made and was out the door. About two blocks later I realized I had forgotten my keys so I went back, got buzzed in and picked up both my keys and my phone. Then I left for the train station. Once I got there, I ate lunch and went and got on my train. That was my first of three legs to get to Basel, Switzerland. Once I got to Lyon I tried to figure out which train I was on but didn't realize that I had to look at the number not where I was going to figure out which train I was on. Finally I figured it out and got on the right train in time. That train was a little bit late getting into Mulhouse Ville so I had to rush to get to my last train but I made it with two minutes to spare. Then finally, I was in Basel.

I left the train station to find it pouring. After walking around I finally found the right place and got in. Once inside, I got all checked in without a problem and went to the second floor. However, there were no door numbers on the doors so I didn't know which one was mine. After asking for some help I finally got in my room. There were only two of us in a room that was for 8 people. We each got to pick where we wanted to sleep so I choose a comfy loft that was a bed big enough for two people. After talking with the other girl a bit (she's Canadian), I ate dinner, did some homework (yes on vacation) and went to bed.

Friday -
Woke up to see it was pouring. After sleeping in a bit I finally got up, got all of my stuff around and left. I started my tour of the city but it was kind of hard without a map and with all the rain. I still had some fun and got to see some cool stuff. However, my shoes and socks were completely soaked which was really annoying. For lunch I ate at McDonald's in order to get out of the rain. Finally, I went to the train station where I took a short train to Bern.

Once in Bern I was excited to see that it was only drizzling, not pouring. I wandered around and enjoyed walking through the covered shopping area which happens to be the main street. After a bite to eat I found my hostel. I got in and went up to my room. After I put all of the sheets on my bed I unpacked and went out to see some of the town. I stumbled upon a random band playing in one of the squares. They were pretty good and fun to listen to. Then I walked around some more and after a while went back to the hostel. Once back at the hostel, I took a shower and did some homework. I also ate some dinner and went to bed reasonably early.

Saturday - Woke up late, got up and left to see the city. I got to see alot of cool things starting with an old church and a Bear Park. The city's mascot is the bear so they have a park with four bears located next to the river. It was pretty cool to see and offered some nice views of the city (since it wasn't raining). Then I wandered about the city and some Saturday markets. Then I went to the Munster (big church) and climbed the tower. The view was incredible although the 300 plus steps were a bit much. Then I went back down and got some lunch. After lunch I visited Einstein's house and did some shopping. After a while I went back to the hostel, took a shower, did some more homework, ate dinner, and went to bed early because I had a really bad headache. However, the 5 other girls staying in that room were so loud they kept me up until midnight.

Sunday - Woke up, ate some breakfast and checked my emails. Then I checked out and went to the part of town with all of the museums. I decided to go to the Natural History Museum and ended up spending almost all of my morning there. There was alot of neat exhibits to see and, even though it was all in German, I still feel like I learned something. Anyways, the museum also had lockers that I could put my stuff in while I went around so I didn't have to lug around my heavy back pack and bags which was a plus. Around noon I left to go to the train station. Once there I had a delicious pretzel for lunch. Then I got on my first train back. This train went to Geneva and passed by some of the most amazing country side. It was like every beautiful country side photo you have ever seen of Switzerland was in there. It was amazing. Then I got to Geneva, got on my other train and was back in France. Once in Lyon, I ate some dinner but it was hard to find a place to sit since everywhere was crowded since alot of people went away for the four day weekend. Finally, I got on my train and was back in Clermont. After a short walk in the rain I was home and ready to go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment