24 October 2010

Does anyone really know what time it is? - Chicago

Phew, time travels fast - I've already been here for 49 days and have about 99 left (as of Friday the 22nd)! I keep getting all the days mixed up and  confused. At times it feels as if I have been here forever and at times it feels like I will never leave and at times it feels like I am just on a vacation and will be going back in a day or two. It's quite a strange feeling as the days pass and things happen but it doesn't really seem to register. Strange but anyways...

Saturday - Didn't do much, mostly watched American TV and relaxed.

Sunday - Went on a trip to Volcania and le Volcan a Lemptegy. Sadly there was snow on the ground, rain in the air, super cold, and lots of fog. Regardless, I still had lots of fun. It started out with a cold walk half way across town to get the bus. Then on the bus I met Angel who I hung out with most of the day. She is from Cameroon and speaks both French and  English which was nice so I didn't have to speak exclusively in French all day. At Volcania we went on some rides that I havn't been on before and we had alot of fun.

Monday - Started with waking up late and did a bunch of homework. After meeting some of the crew for lunch, I went back to school and did some more work. For my Pepiniere class I didn't have much to do and throughout the entire meeting they were talking so fast that I didn't really understand what's going on. Then I had Russian which went ok. I need to study alot more though! Although class is going super slow since we only have it once a week - we're still on the alphabet! Then I went home and after dinner I worked on my project for the next day. I didn't realize how much I was doing and when I looked at the clock it said 3am! OOps!

Tuesday - Well the extra time I put into my presentation paid off because it went really well. After that class I got pizza and then booked it to the school for my ICRP. FYI there was "la greve" aka strikes that day so all of the trams and busses were shut down. I had to walk (at a super fast pace) on a full stomach for 25 minutes there and then I had to walk back later. All in all class went really well except the kids I was placed next to were super easily distracted (but I guess that's why she placed me next to them to keep them on task). Then after that school I booked it back to MY school where we listened to a presentation and then watched a movie. Then went home and chilled and worked on some stuff.


Wednesday - Started out with French Language where she asked us some vocab and no one knew the answers...so guess who has a quiz on those next week, that should be super fun. Then we went over our reports and did some other in class work. Then I had a quick lunch and worked on some homework for most of the break and finally went to Marketing. Once again knew hardly anything about what was going on and my group didn't include me alot so it was kinda boring. Then went to my final class where we finished the movie. It was called Europa (1991) and was set in 1945 and is about an American who comes to Germany to find work. It's a really dark movie but really interesting because it's a commentary on all of Europe and transcends time. Then after a quick dinner with my host brother (my host parents and Eliana went to some concert or something) I chilled and went to bed.

Thursday - Started with FLE where we went over food the whole time (which just made me super hungry). The strikes were still going on and we could hear the bull horns in the streets and saw people marching, it was very distracting. Then I ate a tuna panini, bought Eliana's Birthday present (a little thing of chocolates), and went to the school. School went well again. I was placed in the same group as last time but this time they were a little bit better. Then I went back (I got to take the tram instead of walk 45 min) and did some homework so that I could go out later. Then we celebrated Eliana's birthday and ate lots of sushi. After that I went "Salsa" Dancing with the Cameroon girl and her 25 year old sister. It was really fun except I didn't know how to dance that style really well because I havn't danced it in two years. But once I explained it this one guy taught me alot. I also learned the Rock and Roll style dancing which I had NEVER seen before. It was really cool. Then at 1:15 we left and the sister gave me a ride home so I didn't have to walk in the cold.

Friday - Started with French Lit which wasn't super bad. We had started a new book which is kinda difficult but still pretty interesting. After class I had a quick pizza and went home to sleep. I ended up sleeping for 4 hours because I wasn't feeling very well. After I felt fine so I did some homework and got packed for tomorrow. That night I went out with German students and other internationals for drinks. I only had one beer but it was nice to chill and talk to some of the students that I haven't seen in a while. I went  home kinda early (12:30) and went to bed because I knew I had to get up early to go Chateau-ing the next day!

No comments:

Post a Comment