16 October 2010

"One Week" - Barenaked Ladies - Part 3

Monday - International Student Rally - Woke up early and got ready because I needed to go to school to work on a project before the rally. When I got there I waited for the rest of my group. Finally they all got there at 15 minutes after we were supposed to start. So we went to the Library and started working on our Marketing project. They didn't really have much for me to do so I basically sat there and helped when I could. About half an hour into the project there was an alarm that went off. It was the fire drill alarm so we all went outside which I thought was really funny because it reminded me of drills back home, the only difference was when everyone went outside the majority of people used it as a smoke break (ironic no?). Anyways, then we went back in and started working again but after a little bit I told them that I had to go and I left for the rally.


It was a much shorter walk to the rally than anticipated so I chilled with Jake and read some of my book for class. Then we got in and were separated into groups with other international students. I was in a group with a Russian guy and girl, a guy from Moldova, and a girl from Italy. We talked and ate lunch and then went into the auditorium where the same director from the Volcania trip had people come up and dance and stuff. It was alot of fun and at one point all of the girls from the Kzoo group went up with a bunch of other people.
Then my group was called so my group left, got our directions, and started on our scavenger hunt. The hunt was all over the city and we got lost several times but still managed to do really well and find all the answers to our questions. Also some of the spots were stops where we had to do something. One of them was to take an original photo in front of this fountain so we climbed up on the side of it and all took a drink of water and took the picture squirting water out of our mouth. It was pretty funny and I'm really bummed I don't have a photo of it :(

Anyways, when we finally finished I started hanging out with Lauren (the rest of the Kzoo kids went to class) and we saw the funniest band. It made us miss Marching Band and Pep Band and fun stuff like that. Here's a video of them :




And another one:








Then we walked in a mob with the band playing through the streets to the Mayor's place.



At the Mayor's we got prizes and champagne. My group won so next Sunday I get to go back to Volcania and also to a Volcano. During the mayor's Lauren and I decided to go meet up with Jenn and go to dinner because the rest of the international students were going to a club that was far away and we wouldn't have a ride back until after midnight! So we went and met up with Jenn and had Indian food. This was the second time I had ever had Indian food and it was really good. Then we all went home because it had been a long day. However, I was presently surprised because I got my package from my family with my clothes and long awaited glasses!!!

Tuesday - Vendages - Vendages means picking grapes as in for wine, which is what we did for the better part of the day. My day started off with waking up early and working on my project for European Civilization class which wasn't quite finished so I brought my laptop with me so I could work on it on the way to the vineyard. When I got to the meeting spot (at 8 am!) so that we could go, Angela and Sam weren’t there so we waited for 10 minutes before they got there and we finally left. On the way there were people striking so it was hard to get around, but we finally got away from them and to the vineyard. It was really cold and my fingers were freezing, there was fog everywhere and lots of dew both on the ground and the grapes. We were given a pair of scissors and a bucket and told to go with one of the locals who does this all the time. I went with Amelie who was really nice and had a dog that followed us the entire time. It was such a cute dog and the dog’s son was there too.  We cut the bunches of grapes with one person on each side of the row and would move down the rows like that. It was more fun than I thought and went by pretty quickly. 

Before I knew it it was 10 and it was time for the break/snack. Our break consisted of drinking wine (yes, at 10 in the morning!), eating salami (which was SSOOOO GOOOOOD!), and eating bread and cheese (of course). Then we went back to cutting the grapes until about 2 when we had finished and went to lunch. During this time it got quite hot so I changed from my jacket and sweater into my oversized shirt from the day before. Before lunch we went into the winery and saw the big barrels of wine and tasted some wine that hadn’t matured very much yet which had a very different flavor. Anyways, lunch was really good.  It started out with a salad that I thought was just ok. It was mostly this weird meat and tomatoes in this heavy sauce and Lauren ended up eating half of mine. Then our main dish was potatoes that were really buttery and meat cooked like pot roast. It was super yummy. We also had lots of bread, cheese, and lots of wine. However, my favorite part of the meal wasn’t the food, but the two dogs under the table patrolling for scraps of food. They kept coming up to me and putting their heads on my lap, it was adorable.  After the main meal we relaxed and got ready for dessert.

All of a sudden, I turn to see Joelle coming out with the dessert, a pie with candles on it, and she and everyone else starts singing Happy Birthday to me.  I was really surprised but excited and blew out all of the candles in one breath.  Then we at the pie and all of the K students went and got our stuff out of the car so that when the taxi comes we can be ready to go since we have a class soon. By the time the taxi finally came though we had less than an hour until our class and when Jenn and I were dropped off at school (everyone else had to go back and get their stuff because we were under the impression that we would have enough time to go back home and then to school) it was 5 minutes after class. Jenn and I went to the library to work on our project a little bit more and wait for the others to arrive. When it was 25 minutes after class had started we looked for our class but they weren’t there. A few minutes later Jake, Sam, and Angela arrived and we found the teacher in her office and talked to her and explained why we weren’t there. She said that’s what she guessed and didn’t blame us for it. So then we all left and I went home, ate dinner, got my homework done for the next day, talked to Spencer, and slept some.

No comments:

Post a Comment