19 September 2010

Host Family Fun

Friday - Waking up early to go to school at 8:30 is getting super old but anyways class was actually really interesting. We watched a movie called "Pars vite et reviens tard" which means something like Leave quickly and return late and it's based off a book by Fred Vargas. It was really interesting because it was a murder mystery which had a basis in a historical plague. I liked it alot. Then got a sandwich for lunch and ate on the steps by the Place de Jaude. Then Jenn and I got the problem with our phones sorted out and we got ice cream to celebrate. I don't know if it's because I hadn't had ice cream in a while or not but it was super good (I got vanilla chocolate cookie and mint chocolate chunk). After that I went home for a nap. Then I came out to the living room and watched the Davis Cup on TV with my host brothers and Eliana. It really made me miss tennis but hopefully I will get to play soon.

Then we had an aperatif and started celebrating Xavier's birthday. We had calamari and mussels for appetizer which was better than I expected (there were also some mustard chips which were interesting and cheese puff balls). Then we had dinner which was really good. After dinner we sang happy birthday in 3 languages - French, Spanish, and English and dug into strawberries, cream and shortcake. Then we relaxed for a bit and turned in for the night because we had to wake up early tomorrow.

Saturday - Started by waking up at 7 then leaving the house at 8. There was 5 of us, my two host parents, Xavier, Eliana and me. We drove over two hours until we got to Rhodez where we got out and looked around the town for a little bit. We saw some really two really old churches/cathedrals (think before the 1700s) then we walked through the farmers market and looked at all the old architecture. Then we got back in the van and drove to the airport. Once at the airport we realized there was no where to have our picnic so we drove down a little road and pulled off and ate in the middle of farm country. Now I thought there was alot of farming in Michigan or even when we would drive through Iowa or Kansas but this was more farmland than I think I had seen in a while. Then we went back to the airport and saw Xavier off.

Next we went through some super winding and tight roads to a little village in the mountains of the Midi-Pyrenees. We were going really fast through those roads which combined with my headache wasn't very fun even though the views were fantastic. Then we got to the village and looked around, apparently it's on this really famous trail called the chemin de compostelle. This path (chemin means path) is a mecca for lots of people and is a really big touristic draw. After touring the cathedral and some of the town we went back on those tiny winding roads and I started to get carsick. We stopped twice more just for a quick break and the second time I got really sick. Apparently rapid altitude changes + motion sickness + being super tired + headache from not having glasses = not good. Finally we got on a highway and got back however I was so tired I just went straight to bed even though it was not even 9 on a Saturday night.

PS If you want to see pictures check them out on facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment