26 September 2010

Regional Visit and Friday night

Friday night my host parents, Eliana, my host dad's god son, and I went to a jazz bar. It was this group called Tricia Evy (the name of the singer) accompanied by guitar and saxophone (tenor and bari). It was really interesting to hear some of the French songs and to hear her sing some English ones. Her voice was really quite pretty and I was glad that I went. The guitarist was also very good but the sax leaved a little to be desired. For the most part he played technically right but it kept sounding really airy like the embouchure wasn't right, or there was a leak, or the mic wasn't set up right. All in all it was alot of fun.

Saturday - Saturday started off early and when I mean early I don't mean before noon, I mean waking up at 6:30 am early! Anways, so I woke up and got around and met Lauren at 7:10ish in front of the school. It was so cold I was freezing even though I had a t-shirt, sweater, jacket and scarf! Lauren hadn't eaten breakfast and I only had an apple so we went to the store and each got a baguette and a jar of Nutella to split. So we walked to the street with the garage sales tearing off pieces of bread and dipping them in the Nutella, it was quite fun. There wasn't much of interest in the sales so we decided to go get a cup of coffee. We stopped in this little place on a corner which was completely stuck in the 70's and got a good cup of strong coffee for only a euro. Then we made our way back to school to wait for the bus for the visit.

At school we talked to some friends and finally the bus came at 9 and we were off. Our first stop of the day was a church in a little village that I forgot the name of. It was nice, but it was rainy and cold which wasn't fun. That didn't dampen our spirits though as Jenn, Lauren, and I sang songs on the bus all the way to our next stop - Chateau Medieval de Murol. The chateau was really cool, and I took lots of pictures which you can see on Facebook. After walking though the castle all of the international students gathered in the hall to wait until we were supposed to leave but we didn't feel like sitting around so we took another tour. When we finally left we walked past a jousting ring which looked pretty cool and then we took a group photo and boarded the bus to go to lunch.

Lunch was AMAZING! It was a traditional Auvergne meal with salad, cheesy potatoes (there's a special word for them but I can't remember), ham, dessert and of course red wine and water. After that we boarded the bus again and after triple checking that we had everyone we left for the cheese farm. The cheese farm in Saint Nectere was really cool. At first we took a trip through the caves (which had tons of cobwebs) and saw the cheese with all the mold on it and tasted some. Then we learned about the history of the caves which was actually kinda creepy because we walked through a total of 3 different caves with next to no lighting and the guide kept popping up out of random places. Then we went down to the farm and saw all of the cows. At the end of the row there was a super cute kitten that we kept playing with. After watching them unwrap the cheese we went back to the bus. Then we got on the bus and headed back. On the way back it was super quiet because alot of people were sleeping.

When we finally got back everyone went back home to take a nap. At my house, I wasted some time and then went out into the living room to watch Simpsons with my host brother. Then we had aperatifs (the first was a specialty of some French region and had rum, sugar and lime and was so strong I needed a couple of ice cubes, the second one I had a rum and coke instead) and snacks like chips and hummus or little cheese pastry rolls. Then we had dinner (shrimp and pasta, yum!) and I left before dessert to go see my friends. The four of us met at the Place de Jaude and walked around as we tried to find a bar. We went to one near our school because it was cheaper and all got rum and cokes. Then half of us reordered while I got a coffee. After lots of chatting and relaxing we all left for the night because we were so tired from our long day.

Sunday - I defidently havn't done much today. I ate breakfast, took a shower, did some homework, ate lunch, relaxed, and now I'm watching Aladdin in Spanish because I couldn't find it on megavideo in English or French. Lol, so basically I'm having alot of fun here but I defidently need to sleep more.

No comments:

Post a Comment